March 12, 2020
The safety and welfare of our community is Tennis BC’s top priority. We are closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. As of this afternoon all Canadian National events will be cancelled up until the week of Monday, April 6 and all ITF events will be cancelled until at least the week of Monday, April 20. This directly affects the following events in British Columbia:
- Men’s and Women’s Western Canadian Senior Indoor Nationals — March 18-22 at Hollyburn Country Club, North Shore Winter Club and the West Vancouver Tennis Club
- U14 Indoor Rogers Junior Nationals — March 28-April 2 at UBC
- 43rd Annual VLTBC Masters Indoor Tennis Championships Senior ITF —April 3-12 at Vancouver Lawn Tennis and Badminton Club
Across the country, local events are continuing to be held as planned. As of this moment, locally organized tournaments and events in BC will continue as planned; however, we will be prepared to make any changes if deemed necessary.
Effective immediately, Tennis BC strongly recommends the following measures be implemented during all tournament and recreational play:
- No handshake at any time, including with opponents and chair umpires.
- Each player is responsible for their own towel and the proper disposal of any other items they may have on court following their match.
Tennis BC strongly recommends that everyone take the following precautions for public health practices in order to reduce risk and exposure. The following are simple ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands;
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage;
- Stay home if you are sick to avoid spreading an illness to others; and
- If you are not feeling well before travelling or playing the event, do not attend.
Tennis BC understands that participants (and parents of participants) may have concerns about participating in tennis programs and events at this time. We strongly recommend that a common sense approach be taken and if you have individual concerns, please speak to your local club and/or tennis professional and remove yourself and/or your child from tennis activities until you are comfortable to return to play.
If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms, please refrain from participating in tournaments and notify the tournament director immediately. Symptoms can include fever, cough or difficulty breathing.
The following resources are available for your further education and awareness:
Tennis Canada cancels all Nationals events (up until April 6)
Vancouver Lawn Message about the ITF Masters
ITF Announces Postponement of All ITF Events until 20 April
Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisory
World Health Organization COVID-19 Updates
Message from the National Sport Medicine Advisory Committee
Thank you for respecting public health and safety practices. We will continue to monitor the situation and communicate any further action or changes.