So, you want to become an instructor?
Step one: learn about the Coaching Development System and minimum requirements to become an instructor.
Step two: register for Tennis Instructor, Club Pro 1, or Club Pro 2 courses in BC. Check the schedule below.
The Coach 2 and Coach 3 courses are organized by Tennis Canada. Please contact Jocelyn Robichaud at email@example.com if you need information or wish to register for either of those two courses. (CP2 is now a prerequisite for Coach 2).
To register for all courses, please click on the link corresponding to the course you are interested in from the lists below. It will direct you to the TPA (Tennis Professionals Association) registration page.
When you click on the registration link for the course you wish to register for and find it shows zero spots available, please still register. You will be placed on the waitlist for this course and will be notified by Jeannie at Tennis BC if you get a spot in that course.
Priority will be given to those on waitlists for subsequent courses.
Tennis Instructor courses are a two-weekend commitment run on Friday nights and all day Saturday and Sunday (over two non-consecutive weekends). Both Fridays are held online from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm, and Saturdays and Sundays are on court in person from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Please note, you will need to provide a valid credit card as part of the online registration process. The card will be charged when you register for you to get onto the class list. (Registrants with student cards may need to increase the limit).
Jeannie can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
2024 TENNIS INSTRUCTOR COURSE dATES tO BE ANNOUNCED
Courses will be offered in the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, and the Okanagan region.
Date Location Course Hours Register
- Minimum Age: All candidates must be turning 16 years of age or older at least one year after the course start date.
- Please note that those candidates who are 15 years old turning 16 within one year of the course can do all in-course testing. However, even if they have successfully completed all of the course elements, they won’t receive their Tennis Instructor certificate until their 16th birthday.
- Play Level: To complete the Demo Test Evaluation, candidates need to have a play level of at least 3.0.
- Participants must have strong written and verbal-communication skills in English.
- 100% attendance is mandatory in all courses–no accommodations for non-attendance can be made for any reason.
- Certification is comprised of: demonstration, leadership, teaching, knowledge and Making Ethical Decisions evaluations.
- E-Learning Modules must be completed before the course starts (approx. 6-7 hours needed to complete both the Quality Standards and Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders).
- Candidates will not be given access to their results until both the Making Ethical Decisions (MED) module and all eight e-learning modules have been completed.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED WHEN YOU REGISTER (WHETHER THE COURSE IS ONE OR TEN MONTHS FROM THE DATE YOU DO THIS)!
2024 CLUB PRO 1 COURSE SCHEDULE TO BE ANNOUNCED
Please submit your application form along with your work-experience form to email@example.com. Upon review of your application, you will be sent a link to register.
Dates: Location Course Hours Register
- Weekend one: Orientation online via zoom (mandatory)
- Weekend two: Regrouping #1
- Weekend three: Regrouping #2
- Weekend four: Regrouping #3
- Minimum Age: 17
- Play Level: 4.5 or higher
- Course Hours: Orientation course hours are from 6 pm – 10 pm; all other course days run from either 8 am – 4 pm or from 9 am – 5 pm (course is 9.5 days in total).
- Prerequisites: Tennis Instructor certification; candidates must be a TPA member*; Candidates must have 150 hours of tennis-teaching work experience or, if less, have passed the Instructor course with honours; must have completed one version of the MED module and must have a current background check.
2025 CLUB PRO 2 COURSE SCHEDULE TO BE ANNOUNCED (offered every two years)
Date Location Course Hours Register
- Minimum Age: 20
- Play Level: 5.0 or higher
- Prerequisites: Club Pro 1 certification; Must have two years of full-time experience or five years at a Seasonal Facility. Currently working full time at a year-round or seasonal facility. Candidates must demonstrate their experience in the CP2 application (please click HERE to download); candidates must be a TPA member*
*Costs include access to course manuals, the GST, and testing fees.
*Cost for the Tennis Instructor course also includes membership to Tennis Canada’s Tennis Professionals Association (TPA) through to the end of 2024 (and all of the benefits of this membership, including insurance).
*TPA benefits become active once the candidate successfully completes the course.
*Please note that a course may be cancelled/rescheduled because of insufficient registration numbers, etc.
Candidates requiring a retake have 18 months to complete.
Course withdrawal requirements:
Candidates who cannot attend their course MUST withdraw two weeks prior to the start date of the course and will incur a $50 cancellation fee.
NO REFUND WILL BE PROVIDED TO THE CANDIDATE WHEN HE/SHE BEGINS THE COURSE AND WITHDRAWS BEFORE COMPLETION OF THAT COURSE.
Courses are on a First Come – First Serve Basis. The clinics fill up quickly so please sign up promptly.