Click here to Register for “After School Program – Bramblewood Elementary School” (**For Bramblewood students only**)
Tennis BC Schools will share tennis, the sport of a lifetime, with children of all ages and physical abilities by offering affordable and accessible programs to those who may not otherwise be able to play the sport.
The Tennis for Schools Program offered by Tennis BC is based on a curriculum created by Tennis Canada in collaboration with Physical and Health Education Canada (PHE Canada). The curriculum, which is based on Progressive Tennis principles, delivers quality programming that supports the development of fundamental hand-eye coordination and motor skills. It can be offered during already scheduled physical education classes in the same and familiar setting of the school gymnasium.
- Tennis is fun: Having fun is key to children pursuing an active and healthy lifestyle
- Tennis is social: Tennis can be enjoyed with friends and family
- Tennis is for people of all ages and physical abilities: It’s a sport that can be played for a lifetime!
- Tennis teaches and empowers: Tennis teaches children about self-esteem, fair-play, teamwork, organization, and time management
- Tennis provides the opportunity to develop: Commitment, confidence, leadership skills, self-discipline, self-regulation, dedication to physical activity and perseverance when faced with challenges
Tennis BC Schools Program
- All program delivered by Tennis Canada Certified instructors. All instructors are required to complete a Criminal Record Check
- All Progressive Tennis modified equipment is provided. Children have the option of purchasing a Wilson Junior Racquet for $25 (taxes included: reg. retail prices is $35)
- Students receive a complimentary 1-year Tennis BC Student membership ($25 value)
The In-School Program is offered in either a 4 or 6-Lesson format to complement the PHE Curriculum. The program is designed to be delivered during already scheduled PE classes. The date of program delivery is flexible; Tennis BC will work to accommodate dates that fit your school’s schedule.
To bring tennis into your school, contact Jeannie Rohr: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (office) 604-737-3086 ext. 5 or (cell) 604-808-3610.
Tennis for Schools – Learn and Play: Grades 1-8
Tennis for Schools is a national program that supports the development of fundamental movement skills related to the sport of tennis, while increasing student knowledge and appreciation for the sport.
Developed through a cooperative partnership between Tennis Canada and Physical and Health Education Canada (PHE Canada), Tennis for Schools is designed for both generalist and specialist physical education teachers in Canadian elementary, middle, and junior high schools. It provides these teachers with the knowledge and tools necessary to introduce their students to the exciting potential that tennis offers in promoting lifelong physical activity and participation in sport.
Regardless of a teacher’s tennis background, Tennis for Schools provides a step-by-step, easy to follow lesson plan that meets many of the required learning outcomes for provincial physical education curricula. Using modified tennis equipment such as slow-bounce balls, smaller playing surfaces, and smaller racquets, all students in a quality physical education program can be successful in tennis.
Program Benefits: For Teachers
- Supports the delivery of a Quality Physical Education program
- Meets provincial Physical Education learning outcomes
- Supports the development of physical literacy through fundamental movement skills related to the sport of tennis
- Provides a developmental approach to teaching tennis related skills with developmentally appropriate equipment
- Offers variation and adaptations to allow for unique teaching and learning contexts while meeting all students’ needs and abilities
- Includes sample assessment possibilities (formative and summative) aligned with unit outcomes and specific tennis skills
- Allows for flexibility in order to accommodate large or small groups
Program Benefits: For Students
- Facilitates participation in physical activity through meaningful opportunities to develop fundamental movement skills (e.g. overarm throw, catch, run, sidearm strike)
- Provides a means where students can maintain and improve health-related and performance-related fitness components (e.g. agility, speed, coordination)
- Introduces an avenue to life-long participation in the sport of tennis that will extend beyond the school environment
- Helps foster student cooperation and team building skills
- Supports a gender inclusive and culturally diverse environment
- Provides fun and exciting activities that encourage a physically active lifestyle
Lesson Plans: Tennis for Schools includes progressive unit and lesson plans for students in grades 1-2, 3-5, and 6-8. Each lesson plan includes three major components (Getting Ready, Ready to Learn, and Ready to Play) in addition to a lesson outcome and game goal.
Resources: For all resources and to purchase equipment please fill in the form and a representative from TENNIS BC will contact you. If you have any questions, please contact Director of Community Development Jeannie Rohr at email@example.com or by phone at (office) 604-737-3086 ext. 5 or (cell) 604-808-3610.